Categories of Information Collected
The categories of personal information we may collect on you (depending in some instances on what you share with us, the product you have purchased from us, or the service you receive from us (collectively “Product(s)”)) include the following:
- Identifying – information such as your name, policy number, and other information that identifies you (that is not sensitive information)
- Sensitive – information such as your social security number, driver license number or passport number, criminal history, and other sensitive information which is generally considered subject to a heightened level of scrutiny and security
- Demographic – information such as your age, date of birth, marital status and the like, which may be used to help categorize you with other similar individuals
- Biometric – information you have provided to help us identify you, such as a voice recording. For clarification purposes, to the extent a device you use collects biometric information to authenticate you, such biometric information is not shared with us
- Health – health, prescription, and medical information you have provided to us or authorized us to access
- Consumer – supplemental information we generate or acquire that relates to your preferences, attitudes, characteristics or behaviors
- Financial – information submitted by you related to your specific financial condition, accounts or assets, or are specific to a Product sold, serviced or issued by us
- Online – information collected via our websites or apps, including your login credentials, IP address, search and browsing history, geolocation data, device identifiers, ad identifiers, etc.
- Professional – information related to your professional history, affiliations and education
- Commercial – information pertaining to your business and property interest
- Employment – information about your past and current employment status
Sources from which Personal Information is Collected
- Demographic and consumer personal information, as well as other categories of personal information, may be received from third party providers, for example from social media providers, advertising networks, data brokers, etc.
- The remaining categories of personal information are collected from you directly, or from third parties as authorized by you (either on this Site or via processing/servicing a Product or an application for a Product, for example from your doctor, financial advisor, or credit reporting agency, or other sources needed to underwrite or issue a Product or complete a transaction).
Business or Commercial Purposes of use of Personal Information
We may use personal information for the business or commercial purposes disclosed within our Online Privacy Statement ; you can learn more about these purposes by viewing “How We May Use the Data We Collect” section there.
A summary of the business purposes for which we may use your information include:
- Evaluating eligibility for Products or services
- Administering our Products, providing services and delivering content
- Product pricing, development and quality assurance
- Actuarial and research studies, technological development and analytics
- Legal and regulatory filings, auditing and compliance
- Identity verification, fraud prevention and information security
- Supporting, debugging and maintaining information systems
- Marketing, advertising, promotions and sales
- Other operational purposes compatible with the uses related to your initial disclosure.
Sale and Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose the personal information as set forth in our Online Privacy Statement; you can learn more by viewing “Data We Share” section there.
- Certain marketing efforts in connection with the Demographic, Identifying, Online, or Consumer categories may result in a “sale” as California law defines that term. For example, such information may be provided to or collected by third party advertising and analytics providers who place cookies or similar technologies on our websites and online services, or provided to companies who help us target advertisements or other marketing efforts. We do not sell the personal information of individuals we know to be under the age of 16.
- We disclose all categories of personal information to our affiliates, those entities you have authorized us to share personal information with, service providers who are providing a service to us related to our underlying businesses and other entities necessary to protect our interests or legal rights, such as:
- Those who provide services to support our business, including processing claims, account maintenance, and marketing and sales,
- Credit bureaus,
- Insurance regulators, law enforcement, governmental authorities and other third parties in response to legal process or as required by law,
- Health care professionals, including to verify coverage or to provide information relating to a medical condition,
- Governmental agencies so they can decide if you are eligible for public benefits,
- Other financial companies in connection with joint marketing efforts,
- Other insurance companies (including successor insurers), agents and insurance support organizations to coordinate your benefits or in connection with insurance transactions involving you,
- Group policyholders, for example, regarding claims experience or to support service audits,
- Certificate or policyholders regarding the status of an insurance transaction,
- Those who have a legal or beneficial interest in your assets (such as creditors with a lien on your account),
- Your employer or plan sponsor as needed to support the administration of employee accounts (but only as permitted by law and only if you have established an account in connection with your employer),
- Your representatives and lawyers,
- To prevent and prosecute fraud or criminal activities,
- To conduct actuarial or research studies, and
- In connection with the sale or merger of all or part of our business.
Submitting a Consumer Request
Whether you are a customer of ours or not, with regard to the personal information about you we have collected, you have the right to submit a Consumer Request asking that we:
(1) Delete any personal information about you that we have collected from you. ( Consumer Request to Delete ); and
(2) Provide you with a disclosure relating to the personal information about you that we collect, use, disclose or sell. (Consumer Request to Know).
Your decision to submit a Consumer Request will not result in: (1) any denial of any Product to you; (2) a price differential for any Product offered by us; (3) any impact in the level of Product provided to you; or (4) any suggestion that you will receive a different price or level of quality with respect to our products or services. Please note that we may limit our response when you exercise your rights as permitted by applicable law.
In addition, California residents have the right to opt out of the sale of their data. (Consumer Request to Opt-Out of Sale)
How to Submit a Consumer Request
You can submit a Consumer Request after January 1, 2020 by one of two ways:
- Phone: call Transamerica, toll-free, at 877-247-2401
- Electronically: click on the appropriate “Consumer Request” link above or at the bottom of this page
Upon receipt of a Consumer Request to Know or Consumer Request to Delete, we will seek to verify your identity to our reasonable satisfaction before responding; we need to make sure we are in fact responding to the proper person. This will require you to submit personal information to us during the verification process, and depending on the circumstances, may be done either electronically or through hard-copy documentation sent via the U.S. Mail.
You may authorize another individual to submit a Consumer Request on your behalf. We will seek to verify your identity, and may require your agent to submit proof that they are authorized to submit requests on your behalf. This will require your authorized representative to submit appropriate identification and authorization documentation, and depending on the circumstances, may be done either electronically or through hard-copy documentation sent via the U.S. Mail.
Consumer Request to Opt-Out
Consumer Request to Delete
Consumer Request to Know*
(*Transamerica is not obligated to respond to a Request to Know more than twice in any 12-month period.)
If you have additional questions or any concerns, please call our toll free number: 877-247-2401, or reach out to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Revision Date: April 30, 2020