Categories of Information Collected
The categories of personal information we may collect on you (depending in some instances on what you share with us, the product you have purchased from us, or the service you receive from us (collectively “Product(s)”)) include the following:
- Identifying – information such as your name, policy number, and other information that identifies you (that is not sensitive information)
- Sensitive – information such as your social security number, driver license number or passport number, criminal history, and other sensitive information which is generally considered subject to a heightened level of scrutiny and security
- Demographic – information such as your age, date of birth, marital status and the like, which may be used to help categorize you with other similar individuals
- Biometric – Information you have provided to help us identify you, such as a voice recording. For clarification purposes, to the extent a device you use collects biometric information to authenticate you, such biometric information is not shared with us
- Health – health, prescription, and medical information you have provided to us or authorized us to access
- Consumer – supplemental information we generate or acquire that relates to your preferences, attitudes, characteristic or behaviors
- Financial – Information submitted by you related to your specific financial condition, accounts or assets, or are specific to a Product sold, serviced or issued by us
- Online – Information collected via our websites or apps, including your login credentials, IP address, search and browsing history, geolocation data, device identifiers, ad identifiers, etc.
- Professional – information related to your professional history, affiliations and education
- Commercial – information pertaining to your business and property interest
- Employment – Information about your past and current employment status
Sources from which Personal Information is Collected
- Demographic and consumer personal information, as well as other categories of personal information, may be received from third party providers, for example from social media providers, advertising networks, data brokers, etc.
- The remaining categories of personal information are collected from you directly, or from third parties as authorized by you (either on this Site or via processing/servicing a Product or an application for a Product, for example from your doctor, financial advisor, or credit reporting agency, or other sources needed to underwrite or issue a Product or complete a transaction).
Business or Commercial Purposes of use of Personal Information
We may use personal information for the business or commercial purposes disclosed within our Online Privacy Statement; you can learn more about these purposes by viewing “How We May Use the Data We Collect” section there.
A summary of the business purposes for which we may use your information include:
- Evaluating eligibility for Products or services
- Administering our Products, providing services and delivering content
- Product pricing, development and quality assurance
- Actuarial and research studies, technological development and analytics
- Legal and regulatory filings, auditing and compliance
- Identity verification, fraud prevention and information security
- Supporting, debugging and maintaining information systems
- Marketing, advertising, promotions and sales
- Other operational purposes compatible with the uses related to your initial disclosure.
Sale and Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose the personal information as set forth in our Online Privacy Statement; you can learn more by viewing “Data We Share” section there.
- While we generally do not sell personal information, some personal information under the Demographic, Identifying, or Consumer categories may be sold in the course and scope of certain marketing efforts (all consistent with our obligations under applicable laws, including but not limited to the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (“GLBA”), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”), and other laws and regulations applicable to us (collectively “Other Applicable Laws”)). We do not sell the personal information of minors under the age of 16.
- We disclose all categories of personal information to our affiliates, those entities you have authorized us to share personal information with, service providers who are providing a service to us related to our underlying businesses and other entities necessary to protect our interests or legal rights (all consistent with our obligations under Other Applicable Laws), such as:
- Those who provide services to support our business, including processing claims, account maintenance, and marketing and sales,
- Credit bureaus,
- Insurance regulators, law enforcement, governmental authorities and other third parties in response to legal process or as required by law,
- Health care professionals, including to verify coverage or to provide information relating to a medical condition,
- Governmental agencies so they can decide if you are eligible for public benefits,
- Other financial companies in connection with joint marketing efforts,
- Other insurance companies (including successor insurers), agents and insurance support organizations to coordinate your benefits or in connection with insurance transactions involving you,
- Group policyholders, for example, regarding claims experience or to support service audits,
- Certificate or policyholders regarding the status of an insurance transaction,
- Those who have a legal or beneficial interest in your assets (such as creditors with a lien on your account),
- Your employer or plan sponsor as needed to support the administration of employee accounts (but only as permitted by law and only if you have established an account in connection with your employer),
- Your representatives and lawyers,
- To prevent and prosecute fraud or criminal activities,
- To conduct actuarial or research studies, and
- In connection with the sale or merger of all or part of our business.
Submitting a Consumer Request
Whether you are a customer of ours or not, with regard to the personal information about you we have collected, you have the right to submit a Consumer Request asking that we:
(1) Delete any personal information about you that we have collected from you. Once we have verified your Consumer Request, we will delete all information subject to the Consumer Request, except for information that we have a legal right or obligation to retain (Consumer Request to Delete) (please note that we may be required by Other Applicable Laws to retain your personal information and our response to any Consumer Request will be subject to such Other Applicable Laws);
(2) Provide you with a disclosure that includes the following (Consumer Request to Know):
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you in the preceding 12 months;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we have shared your personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information about you we have collected.
(3) Provide you with a disclosure related to personal information we have either sold (if any) or disclosed for a business purpose in the preceding 12 months setting forth (Consumer Request to Know):
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of personal information we have sold (if any) about you, and the categories of third parties to whom your personal information was sold; and
- The categories of your personal information we disclosed for a business purpose.
Please note that Transamerica is not obligated to respond to a Consumer Request to Know more than twice in any 12-month period.
Your decision to submit a Consumer Request will not result in: (1) any denial of any Product to you; (2) a price differential for any Product offered by us; (3) any impact in the level of Product provided to you; or (4) any diminution of value of the Product provided to you.
In addition, California residents have the right to opt out of the sale of their data. (Consumer Request to Opt-Out of Sale)
How to Submit a Consumer Request
You can submit a Consumer Request after January 1, 2020 by one of two ways:
- Phone: call Transamerica, toll-free, at 877-247-2401
- Electronically: click on the appropriate “Consumer Request” link above or at the bottom of this page
Upon receipt of a Consumer Request, we will seek to verify your identity to our reasonable satisfaction before responding; we need to make sure we are in fact responding to the proper person. This will require you to submit personal information to us during the verification process, and depending on the circumstances, may be done either electronically or through hard-copy documentation sent via the U.S. Mail.
Once we have verified your identity, we will respond to your Consumer Request within the time frame required by law.
You may authorize another individual to submit a Consumer Request on your behalf. We will seek to verify your identity, and that of the individual submitting the Consumer Request on your behalf. We will also validate that the individual submitting the Consumer Request is authorized by you. This will require your authorized representative to submit appropriate identification and authorization documentation, and depending on the circumstances, may be done either electronically or through hard-copy documentation sent via the U.S. Mail.
Consumer Request to Opt-Out
Consumer Request to Delete
Consumer Request to Know*
(*Transamerica is not obligated to respond to a Request to Know more than twice in any 12-month period.)
If you have additional questions or any concerns, please call our toll free number: 877-247-2401, or reach out to us via email: email@example.com.
Effective Date: January 1, 2020